It’s funny how your expectations of what a gourmet meal is changes over the years. This meal I’m about to share with you I now consider a “cheat” meal. But in college, gourmet to the extreme!!! I mean, it’s not a frozen pizza or anything.
Creamy Gnocchi with Turkey Sausage and Peas
1 pkg frozen gnocchi
1 lb smoked turkey sausage
1 cup frozen peas
1 jar alfredo sauce
1. Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Set aside.
2. Slice up sausage and brown in a bit of olive oil. Throw in some onions if you’re feeling fancy.
3. Heat up jar of alfredo sauce. (If you feel like I do in that jar sauce doesn’t taste the same, sprinkle in some fresh parmesan cheese, oregano, garlic (or really any spices you like) and you wouldn’t believe the improvement in flavor!)
4. Add peas to sauce and stir until warmed.
5. Combine all ingredients…and eat!
I was never a replace beef/pork with turkey kinda girl. Never. The fat gives it all the flavor, guys! Eww, turkey burgers! Until I met Butterball and their smoked turkey sausage. It tastes JUST LIKE REAL MEAT! (Wait…) Anyway, it honestly is fantastic. Maybe if you’re a true sausage connoisseur you will not enjoy it as much. But for us regular people, it satisfies just fine and is a healthier alternative to beef or pork. I suppose the alfredo sauce takes care of that, but who’s counting?
The variations of this recipe abound. Ravioli, tomato sauce and basil? Tortellini, vodka sauce and ham? And it’s so easy…even a college student can do it. (Please do pair with a $5 bottle of wine.)
Let me know how it turns out, and if you put any of your own spin on it. I’m always looking for new ideas!